Overview of the scheme
Lake Road is a busy east-west route from the city centre to the residential areas of Landport and Fratton. This route experiences congestion at peak times, especially in the morning.
These proposals support Portsmouth’s Local Transport Strategy and would provide benefits for all road users, offering safer walking and cycling routes while bus priority measures will ease congestion and will help keep buses running on time.
What is proposed and why
Lake Road is a busy east-west route from the city centre to the residential areas of Landport and Fratton. This route experiences congestion at peak times, especially in the morning. It is a key route for many bus services travelling in and out of the city, and forms part of a popular cycling route.
Public transport infrastructure improvements will save time on journeys, and improvements to the roundabout will make it safer for people walking and cycling.
To improve this area of the city we are proposing to:
- Add a new westbound bus lane for buses and taxis between Lake Road roundabout and Cornmill Roundabout
- Improve the existing roundabout to provide safer and more direct crossing facilities for people walking and cycling
- Add dedicated cycle paths along Lake Road with cycle segregation, west of the roundabout
- Improve the landscaping in the area to make it greener and more pleasant
The use of private hire vehicles in these bus lanes is subject to a trial which will be conducted in early 2022.
Have your say
Your views will help us decide where to make specific improvements to this route, and how best to implement these changes. Our consultation will be open for five weeks, from 17 Dec 2021 to 31 January 2022. We’re also looking for your views on the south of the city centre and Lake Road.
Our consultation closes at midnight on 31 January 2022.
The feedback you provide will be analysed and used to develop the final designs for improvements along these routes.
You can also join one of our online briefing sessions, where you’ll be able to watch a presentation about the changes and ask questions to project staff.
- Monday 10 January 2022 – 12.00pm
- Monday 10 January 2022 – 6.00pm
- Wednesday 12 January 2022- 2.00pm
- Wednesday 12 January 2022- 6.30pm
- Friday 14 January 2022 – 1.00pm
- Friday 14 January 2022 – 5.30pm