Overview of the scheme
Lake Road is a busy east-west route from the city centre to the residential areas of Landport and Fratton. This route experiences congestion at peak times, especially in the morning.
These proposals support Portsmouth’s Local Transport Strategy and would provide benefits for all road users, offering safer walking and cycling routes while bus priority measures will ease congestion and will help keep buses running on time.
What is proposed and why
Lake Road is a key route for many bus services travelling in and out of the city, and forms part of a popular cycling route.
Public transport infrastructure improvements will enable journey time savings, while a new signalised junction will help traffic flow and addresses cycle safety issues at the roundabout.
Our proposal includes:
- New bus priority measures east bound.
- Lake Road/Holbrook Road roundabout to be replaced with a traffic-signalled junction.
- Pedestrian crossings and early release-cycle signals at the new junction.
- Banned left turn into Church Street from Lake Road, and right turn into Lake Road from Church Street, to improve pedestrian crossing and traffic flow at the junction.
All proposals are subject to consultation.
Schemes are in the final stages of preliminary design. Once proposals are complete, we will consult with stakeholders. Further details will be provided here.
We need to temporarily suspend parking and close some lanes on Lake Road in the surrounding area so that our contractor, Alun Griffiths, can safely undertake some survey work.
Some roads will be closed from 8pm to 6am on Monday 22 November 2021 to Friday 3 December 2021. During this time the following closures will take place:
- From 22 to 28 November, a single lane will be closed on Lake Road between Cornmill Street and the roundabout by Church Street
- From 29 to 30 November both lanes will be closed on Church Street from Cornwallis Crescent to Lake Road roundabout
- From 1 to 3 December both lanes will be closed on Lake Road from the roundabout to Clarendon Street