Overview of the scheme
The City Centre South scheme includes the southern end of Commercial Road, Station Street and Isambard Brunel Road. This is a busy area, with lots of traffic and large numbers of people.
Currently buses are held up in Commercial Road and Isambard Brunel Road.
These proposals would provide benefits for active travel and public transport and support Portsmouth’s Local Transport Strategy and Local Cycling and Walking Infrastructure Plan (LCWIP). Reducing traffic in the area and adding controlled crossings will make it easier and safer for people to cross Station Street, while a new bus-only corridor will help keep buses running on time.
What is proposed and why
At the beginning of June 2020, Portsmouth City Council introduced a temporary road closure to general traffic on Isambard Brunel Road to aid social distancing in the city centre. We are looking to formalise this arrangement by introducing a bus-only route and reallocating the road space for walking, cycling and public transport only.
Our proposal includes:
- New bus-only* corridor between Commercial Road and Isambard Brunel Road
- Replace the mini-roundabout with a crossroads junction. This is a traffic light junction with controlled pedestrian crossings.
- Improved crossing facilities
- Provide an improved environment for people who walk and/or cycle.
- Modify the road layout on Isambard Brunel Road to allow a two-way traffic flow.
Surrounding footpaths will also be improved to link with the Fratton to Portsmouth Guildhall walking route.
*current proposals include taxis
All proposals are subject to consultation.
Schemes are in the final stages of preliminary design. Once complete proposals will be presented to stakeholders for consultation, details of which will be provided here