Overview of scheme
This scheme will address congestion and improve safety in the Portsbridge roundabout area, and will also improve approaches to the roundabout.
These proposals will benefit all road users by offering a wider shared path for walking and cycling, easing congestion at busy junctions and introducing bus priority measures to help keep buses running on time.
What is proposed and why
We have recorded a high number of traffic crashes at the Portsbridge roundabout. Between March 2015 and February 2020 there were 10 incidents involving cyclists, two of which were serious.
Proposed junction improvements will better manage the traffic flow to improve safety, while dedicated bus lanes and gates give buses priority to travel through congestion pinch points.
Our proposals will;
- Deliver bus priority measures at Northern Road and Hilsea Lido
- Create a new crossing at Northern Road and widened shared cycle path to the west of the roundabout to allow safer crossing for people who walk and cycle
- Improve existing bus priority on north and south approaches to roundabout
- Improve connectivity across Northern Road with provision of a new pedestrian controlled crossing
- Improve safety of vehicles travelling around the roundabout by adding islands to the road to separate traffic
Have your say
All proposals are subject to consultation. We asked for your views on what we’re proposing in a survey, but this closed on Sunday 29 August 2021. We’ll use feedback received to shape these plans to make them work for everyone.
We held some briefing sessions for these proposals in August 2021. Please contact us if you’d like to receive recordings of these briefing sessions for Portsbridge Roundabout.
The feedback we receive from our survey will help us to finalise designs, before undertaking a statutory 21-day consultation. We’ll update this page with further information and detailed designs as this scheme progresses to the next stage.
Although surveys are now closed on these schemes, we’d encourage you to sign up to our SEHRT community panel so that you can be informed about future developments for these sites, as well as future surveys about proposed developments in Portsmouth and across South East Hampshire.